Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2018 - Lisbon, Portugal  (Read 155 times)

Offline Markus

• Mole
  • Username: antos
Eurovision Song Contest 2018 - Lisbon, Portugal
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
I guess there's very little interest in this topic here right now. Nevertheless, here are the participating countries:

Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
F.Y.R. Macedonia
Germany
Georgia
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Malta
Moldova
Montenegro
The Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom

Russia is back.

Azerbaijan, Belgium, Finland and The Netherlands have already chosen their representatives.

It's Aisel Mammadova for Ajerbaijan, Laura Groeseneken for Belgium , Saara Aalto for  Finland and Waylon for The Netherlands.

The songs for those 4 will be revealed later. I only know about Saara Aalto. She will have 3 songs to perform live from which the public and international jury will vote the one she will take with her to Lisbon.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:18:59 AM by Markus »
Lost a planet Master Obi Wan has. How embarrassing.

Offline BBDR16

• All Star
Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2018 - Lisbon, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
I'm really excited for Finland & The Netherlands. Belgium, she seems interesting and I haven't check Azerbaijan at all just yet. But I'm afraid we'll see a bunch of Salvador-like entries next year, and both Azerbaijan & Belgium chose jazz singers as their representatives.
:) Live happy every day!!! <3

Offline Jackie

• Admin
  • Big Brother
  • Username: jakiki
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 12:31:38 AM »
I'm really excited for Finland & The Netherlands. Belgium, she seems interesting and I haven't check Azerbaijan at all just yet. But I'm afraid we'll see a bunch of Salvador-like entries next year, and both Azerbaijan & Belgium chose jazz singers as their representatives.

I doubt they will all follow that trend. And if they do it's stupid as fuck.

Offline GrahamUKFan

• Big Brother
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
Every year we sort of see an impact from the winner or the ones that came close the year before. I remember how year one after Ruslana almost everyone had drums on stage, how after two years having guys winning, in 2010 the male solo singers were dominating for the first time, how 2011 was full of Lena doubles (plus the original) competing or how 2015 (one year after the Common Linnets) was unusually crowded with mixed duos. Its mostly just a trend but sometimes there are a few songs that are so blatantly trying to copy the winning formula from the year before its kinda obvious that these entries wouldn't be submitted if it wasn't for scoring high with a stylistic copy.

Examples of this:
2010: Poland, Marcin Mrozinski "Legendya"  ("Fairytale")
2013: Germany, Cascada "Glorious" ("Euphoria")
2016: Russia, Sergey Lazarev "You Are the Only One" ("Heroes")
and there are many, many more.

Offline BBDR16

• All Star
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:09:58 AM »

It's not stupid, it always happens! Especially in the past few years, for example, we've seen that 2015 saw a schlager hit win and 2016 saw quite a bunch of upbeat pop songs; 2016 saw an emotional mid-tempo ballad win, 2017 saw quite a group of ballads in the mix.

And like GrahamUKFan said, there's always going to be that one song that is completely trying to emulate the previous year's winner.
:) Live happy every day!!! <3

Offline Jackie

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »

It's not stupid, it always happens! Especially in the past few years, for example, we've seen that 2015 saw a schlager hit win and 2016 saw quite a bunch of upbeat pop songs; 2016 saw an emotional mid-tempo ballad win, 2017 saw quite a group of ballads in the mix.

And like GrahamUKFan said, there's always going to be that one song that is completely trying to emulate the previous year's winner.

Yeah but stealing a schtick and a vibe is a whole different thing. Adding drums, some kind of "expressive dance", an inspiring dance song or just a male singer is pretty easy to do. But Salvador didn't win because of that, he won because his song didn't sound like anything else we had heard for a long time (+emotion). How do you steal that ? Not just by having some "acoustic" or "jazzy" song.

Offline GrahamUKFan

• Big Brother
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
I agree. Its as with Conchita Wurst - you really cannot copy something original. However I think it can encourage others to be original to and I hope we will see some more singer-songwriters next year that want to celebrate "true music" as Salvador said.

Offline Jackie

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 04:35:56 AM »
I agree. Its as with Conchita Wurst - you really cannot copy something original. However I think it can encourage others to be original to and I hope we will see some more singer-songwriters next year that want to celebrate "true music" as Salvador said.

Yes, exactly, I hope his victory has impact instead of becoming a trend.

Offline André

• Admin
  • Big Brother
  • I only support vaginas!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
I'm going to see this bitch live so you know!! ;D ;D