Author Topic: Big Brother 5 Greece  (Read 56023 times)

Offline spanish

• Winner
Re: Big Brother 5 Greece
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
Hi, welcome!

Do you know the housemates' surnames?

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »
Hi, welcome!

Do you know the housemates' surnames?

I don't think they were mentioned in the intro videos. I'll scan over the launch show and if they are printed, I'll post back  probably tomorrow. Otherwise I'll listen to the presenter and try to get their last names from her. I'll check the TV site too.

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »
I know that Giannis' surname is Foukakis. It was mentioned in one of the articles on the website - I will try to find it later today.

And welcome to the forum, Nax! ;D

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
I know that Giannis' surname is Foukakis. It was mentioned in one of the articles on the website - I will try to find it later today.

And welcome to the forum, Nax! ;D

Thanks for the welcome spanish and Omg :)

They say their names in their intro videos.

Ntoreta Trigazi (Ντορέτα Τρυγάζη)
Nikoleta Karidi (Νικολέτα Καρύδη)
George Katsaounis (Γιώργος Κατσαούνης)  <-- corrected
Elina Mpekakou (Ελίνα Μπεκάκου)
Giannis Ledakis - Giannis L. (Γιάννης Λεδάκης)  <-- corrected
Valentina Mantinaki (Βαλεντινα Μαντινάκη)
Elias Pahis (Ηλίας Παχύς)
Mihalis Rizos (Μιχάλης Ρίζος)
Stella Pentaraki (Στέλλα Πενταράκη)
Nara da Silva
Alexis Alexopoulos (Αλέξης Αλεξόπουλος)
Evelina Patuzel (?) -- nicknamed later Fyso (Φύσο) , unknown origin/meaning
Antonis Papanikolaou (Αντώνης Παπανικολάου)
Giannis Foukakis - Giannis F. (Γιάννης Φουκάκης) -- nicknamed later: Foukos

House mate entered after 3rd eviction:
Maria Sideri  (Μαρία Σιδερή)

After the 4th eviction:
Christine (Χριστίνα) -- Intro video was not shown

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:25:28 AM by Nax »

Offline spanish

• Winner
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2011, 08:45:46 AM »
Thank you for the info. If you know more in the future, please say me it.  :P

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum Nax  ;D

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum Nax  ;D

Nice to see you all... This is a great site. :)  I only wish I knew about the show when it started.

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2011, 04:33:24 AM »
Giannis Foukakis

I'm watching the episode from day 10, Oct 12, 2010.

It's the first blow up by Giannis Foukakis, one of the three housemates from the island of Crete.

Giannis F. is from a farming villange in Crete. Cretans (I hate that name, they deserve a better one - the Greek name is Kritiki) are a very  proud bunch of Greek people who have kept their special culture and special vocabulary through the centuries.  Their roots go back to the rise of the Mycenean civilization, the first European civilization in recorded history, from 5,000 years ago.

He has adopted a lot of old fashioned male chauvinist attitudes, like believing housework is for women, etc, but he's one of the most sincere housemates I've ever seen... at the level of Reggie (Regina) on Australia's season 3, or better.

I've peeked into a couple videos from future weeks, there's a definite push by production to have him in the house, but above it all, the guy is a real Greek. And since the term "Greek" is of questionable origin, he's a true Έλληνας!  :)

Now guess who my favorite is :)

Offline Matt91

• Mole
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2011, 05:13:14 AM »
Giannis Foukakis

I'm watching the episode from day 10, Oct 12, 2010.

It's the first blow up by Giannis Foukakis, one of the three housemates from the island of Crete.

Giannis F. is from a farming villange in Crete. Cretans (I hate that name, they deserve a better one - the Greek name is Kritiki) are a very  proud bunch of Greek people who have kept their special culture and special vocabulary through the centuries.  Their roots go back to the rise of the Mycenean civilization, the first European civilization in recorded history, from 5,000 years ago.

He has adopted a lot of old fashioned male chauvinist attitudes, like believing housework is for women, etc, but he's one of the most sincere housemates I've ever seen... at the level of Reggie (Regina) on Australia's season 3, or better.

I've peeked into a couple videos from future weeks, there's a definite push by production to have him in the house, but above it all, the guy is a real Greek. And since the term "Greek" is of questionable origin, he's a true Έλληνας!  :)

Now guess who my favorite is :)

What is Έλληνας' mean when literally translated?

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2011, 05:23:57 AM »

Έλληνας is the native term from someone from Ελλάδα), which is the country Westerners call "Greece". The term Έλλαδα derives from the ancient name Ελλάς, which is a name local inhabitants in the North-West part called their lands (pre 1,000 BC) and the rest of the ancient people in the area adopted for themselves and eventually the rest of the country.

The term Greece has pre-Roman roots and it comes from a place in Central-Eastern Greece that people called their land and then established colonies in Italy.

Sorry for the previous historically inaccurate information :)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:45:54 AM by Nax »

Offline spanish

• Winner
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
Nax, do you know the Christina's surname? Thanks!

Offline Matt91

• Mole
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »

Έλληνας is the correct term from someone from Ελλάς or Ελλάδα, which is the country Westerners call "Greece".

The term "Greece" is derived from a Turkish term which became popular for other Europeans to use for Ελλάδα and is the reason most people now refer to Ελλάδα as Greece.

The Ottoman Turks had invaded Ελλάδα from the 1400's up to the 1800's ... for 400 years!  They destroyed any cultural objects they could find in the meantime, most of them from ancient times. Unfortunately, their term Greece, standing for for Ellada (Ελλάδα) has become the popular one.

Wow, I had no idea the name had a non-"greek" history/origin.

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2011, 03:17:21 AM »
Nax, do you know the Christina's surname? Thanks!

I can't find her intro video on the BB site, and I'm still watching day 14. If I see her and she says her name I'll post again.

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:50 AM »
Scandal!

During the 3rd live show on Oct 17, 2010, the first evictee, Elina, said she knew Nara from outside the house and that Nara is a dancer and Nara had called Elina several times when Nara was looking for a job, etc. They were not friends she said, but Elina had helped her out and she seemed disappointed that Nara had nominated her.

Elina also said that Valentina hit her and pulled her hair and that the others in the house took Valentina's side. Elina said Valentina should have been expelled from the house according to the rules against violence. Roula, the presenter, did a pathetic job trying to cover up for the production not doing anything about it. Valentina is part of the secret mission to hide her real life relationship with Gianni L. Roula said the incident was not shown on the TV show because BB is not about showing fights on TV (the irony!).

There are probably other developments about this but I'm not reading the official site because I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible :)

The production of the live show is not very good. They also do nominations right after the eviction during the live show, so there's not much left to do during the week other than the tasks. The announcement of the nominated is weird. She calls out some of the names and tells them if they are nominated or not. So in addition to the nominated the presenter chooses to call out a couple of other  house mates who are not. They also keep important scenes of house mates for the live show only.

Hopefully they'll get better after the first eviction.

Offline GrahamUKFan

• Big Brother
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »
wow so it seems that Giannis F is your average sexist, conservative producers favourite that is winning BB lately. hate how the TV audiences all over the world buy this and get more and more conservative it seems  ::)

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2011, 02:38:07 AM »
wow so it seems that Giannis F is your average sexist, conservative producers favourite that is winning BB lately. hate how the TV audiences all over the world buy this and get more and more conservative it seems  ::)

You're right, Giannis F. is sexist, but compared to a few others in the house, he's a mild case. The environment he lives in is a big factor to what social role he's adapting to. Even in the 21st century, there's no small village or rural area anywhere from Spain, to Italy to Greece, that you don't see the same male machismo deeply entrenched in the local customs.

George, Giannis L. and Valentina are worse. They all think women are inferior and Valentina will justify her bf or husband if he screws around because it's "men's nature" to do so. Giannis F. won't pick up a broom to sweep the floor but Valentina won't think twice to go with a married man and hurt another woman. She's young and immature but she seems more intent to cause harm to others compared to Giannis F. who I bet would change his ways if anyone explained to him why he's wrong.

The charm about Giannis F. is that he speaks in a very traditional way, and his improvised "mantinades" songs they do in Crete are great,  which is hard to find lately in Greek culture that is flooded with western media the past several decades.

Offline Jäck

• Big Brother
  • Username: Jack (spare)
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »

You're right, Giannis F. is sexist, but compared to a few others in the house, he's a mild case. The environment he lives in is a big factor to what social role he's adapting to. Even in the 21st century, there's no small village or rural area anywhere from Spain, to Italy to Greece, that you don't see the same male machismo deeply entrenched in the local customs.

George, Giannis L. and Valentina are worse. They all think women are inferior and Valentina will justify her bf or husband if he screws around because it's "men's nature" to do so. Giannis F. won't pick up a broom to sweep the floor but Valentina won't think twice to go with a married man and hurt another woman. She's young and immature but she seems more intent to cause harm to others compared to Giannis F. who I bet would change his ways if anyone explained to him why he's wrong.

The charm about Giannis F. is that he speaks in a very traditional way, and his improvised "mantinades" songs they do in Crete are great,  which is hard to find lately in Greek culture that is flooded with western media the past several decades.

Still can't believe she's 24, she looks old enough to be my gran for christ sake :o

So why did the viewers vote out Elina? Valentina and her other half sound like a pair of scumbags
"If I go, I'm taking you with me, you filthy old eunuchs!"

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2011, 02:29:53 AM »
Still can't believe she's 24, she looks old enough to be my gran for christ sake :o

So why did the viewers vote out Elina? Valentina and her other half sound like a pair of scumbags

I haven't found any forums with discussions about the show, other than a few comments on the official site. It's probably that Elina was perceived to be overly sexual by the tweeners with cellphones and they voted her out.

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:23 AM »
Thanks for the recaps Nax, it's great to read someone who understand Greek  :P

BTW, did they say the percentages on the live show?   ???

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2011, 04:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the recaps Nax, it's great to read someone who understand Greek  :P

BTW, did they say the percentages on the live show?   ???

It's my pleasure joako! Thank you for so many contributions for BB shows you're making to feed our addiction :)

I wish I could translated them and post them while watching, but I may do this after I finish with the season.

They did not mention eviction percentages on the live show either on the first or the second eviction that I'm watching now. I avoid the official site to avoid as many spoilers as possible.

A funny bit was during the second eviction when the couple, Giannis L. and Valentina were nominated, Valentina's father pleaded with Roula, the presenter, to give them a pass and let them stay in the house because they passed their task of keeping their secret of being a couple. The poor guy at least he tried.

Offline Nax

• Head of House
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
After the second eviction, BB told George to pretend to leave the house in a fit of anger, and after a while he would be back in.

George is yelling telling everyone to shut the f* up and go to hell! ;D

The housemates run after him and Giannis F. grabbed him and pulled him back in the house. There's a photographer outside who ruined the whole task by talking to the house mates and telling them he only wants to take some shots of George. What an idiot! ;D

BB deducted  € 20,000 from the final € 200,000 prize because of the other house mates running after Giorgo and going through the exit door. Production f*ck up number 27... ;D

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:45:25 AM by Nax »

Offline prison_break

• Immunity
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
Mihalis has been evicted from the house for the second time.

Alexis, Giorgos and Evelina are the nominees for this week.

Alexis nominated Giorgos and Giannis F.
Antonis nominated Alexis and Evelina
Giannis F. nominated Evelina and Alexis
Giorgos nominated Alexis and Evelina
Elias nominated Giorgos and Alexis
Evelina nominated Giorgos and Giannis F.
Stella was banned from nominating this week.

Leader Giorgos decided not to make anyone immune.

Alexis - 4
Evelina - 3
Giorgos - 3

Giannis F. - 2

I'm not really sure why Stella was banned, as the translation is not so clear. Here is the translation - "Stella did not vote mandated by Big Brother because he tried to hide the words in various living with ... it was rough in front of a pillow."

Edit - according to the wikipedia article on this series, Stella was also immune from this round of nominations. There is no mention of this yet on the official website though.

Ok i live in Greece and closely following the show so feel free to ask me anything.
Stella was banned that particular day because the video the production showed to the housemates suggested that she was constantly breaking one of the main rules regarding the way the housemates have to communicate. She was using pillows and generally covering her mouth in several of her conversations.
As for the immunity part, she won the lucky coin in New Year's Pie.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 02:03:49 AM by prison_break »

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2011, 09:55:32 PM »
Ah thanks for that information prison_break, and welcome to the forum!  :)

Offline prison_break

• Immunity
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2011, 09:57:55 PM »
http://www.alphatv.gr/Microsites/BigBrother/News/%CE%A3%CF%84%CE%BF-%CE%94%CF%89%CE%BC%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%B9%CE%BF-%CE%95%CF%80%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%BF%CE%B9%CE%BD%CF%89%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%BF%CE%B9-11.aspx

Here it says that Big Brother did not allow Valentina and Giannis L. to nominate. No reason was given.

they weren't allowed to vote as a punishment because it was said Valentina physically attacked Elina, while being backed up by Giannis L.

Offline prison_break

• Immunity
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
NARA is the 8th housemate to be evicted
%CE%B1%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%87%CF%89%CF%81%CE%B7%CF%83%CE%B7-%CE%B1%CF%85%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82-%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%82-%CE%BA%CF%81%CF%85%CE%B1%CF%82-%CE%9A%CF%85%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%B1%CE%BA%CE%B7%CF%82.aspx[/img]

ANTONIS, ELIAS and HRISTINA are up for eviction this week. So I guess Hristina will be out next week

GIORGOS = Elias and Hristina
ELIAS = Giorgos and Hristina
HRISTINA = Elias and Stella
ANTONIS = Elias and Hristina
STELLA = Hristina and Elias
GIANNIS F = Elias and Stella

Antonis was this week's HoH, so he had to save one of the 2 nominees, Elias or Hristina, but he refused to do it, so he is automatically up for eviction.

Last week Giannis F also had to save one of the 2 nominees, Hristina or Nara, and he refused too. Definitely a really stupid idea  ::)

Also ALEXIS is back, as Evelina's replacement. I don't know if he won a public vote or if he was chosen by the producers

He was the production's choice to return.