Author Topic: The future of World of Big Brother  (Read 2463 times)

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
  • Username: grahamuk
    • World of Big Brother
The future of World of Big Brother
« on: August 24, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
Hello everyone. Some of you may not know me as I haven't been around much over the last few years. My name is Graham, I live in the UK and I own the World of Big Brother website and forum.

I started the World of Big Brother website 11 years ago with the aim of providing information on every Big Brother edition in the world. At the time it was, as far as I know, the only website on the internet that had pictures and profile details of every worldwide housemate.

I fell in love with Big Brother in the year 2000 when the UK version of the show started airing. In 2003, I discovered I was able to watch Big Brother in other countries and I was soon following Big Brother 12 months a year, rather than for just the 2 months a year that it was on air in the UK.

I was frustrated that there was nowhere on the net where (in English) I could find information about all the Big Brother editions and so decided to do my own website. I'd never done a website before and had no knowledge or experience in building one. But I built up the website with daily updates for about 5 years.

In January 2010 the forum launched. Whereas the website was factual and neutral with no opinions, I wanted a part of the site where people could give their opinions of Big Brother and we tried out blogs for a time before launching the forum, which is still here today.

Things changed for me in 2010. I got a new job with longer hours, meaning I had less time and energy to update the website. Also around that time, I started falling out of love with Big Brother. One of the reasons for this was because for me the 24/7 live streams were the shows big attraction, without the streams BB became just another reality show. The UK version of the show axed the live stream and more and more countries either did the same or blocked the streams to foreign viewers.

Over the last 6 years I have tried a few times to start updating the website, but the task is so huge that I will never have the time to add 6 years worth of information. At the moment the website has remained unchanged since May 2014 but there are gaps going back to 2010 and I estimate that there are now over 100 editions of Big Brother that are missing from the site.

I'm thrilled to see that this forum is still alive and active. However, the lack of updates on the main website means that traffic on the website is much smaller and no-one new is coming to the forum via the website. It is some months since someone joined the forum and became an actively posting member.

So that's a bit of background as to how things came to be as they are today. What I would like to know is your thoughts as to what to do with the website and forum in the future.

1) The forum
Would you like this forum to continue? I'm quite happy to keep it open if you feel it is worth keeping. If you want it to continue, should we be trying to grow the forum with new members - if so how do we do this?

2) The website
There are 3 options - remove it, keep it as an out of date archive, find a way to bring it up to date.
The problem with bringing it up to date is that I don't have the time to do it myself. One thought I had was to run a wiki on the website where one or more people could add pages themselves and build up the missing editions through wiki pages. Maybe there are other options.

I've rambled on too long now, so I'll hand it over to you. Please post any thoughts, ideas, suggestions that you have for the future of this forum and website - even if it's just let's carry on as things are at the moment.

Thanks for listening.

Graham.

Offline Mike

• Finalist
  • Username: BB4Lyfe
Re: The future of World of Big Brother
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:59:47 AM »
I would be more than happy to help update the website with the missing info. I don't have a lot of website experience, but as long as it isn't too difficult, I'm sure I can get the hang of it.

For the forum, please keep it! Just like you I'm obsessed with this show and follow every countries Big Brother and still check the forum multiple times a day :)

Offline André

• Admin
  • Big Brother
  • I only support vaginas!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:31:47 AM »
I think you should keep the forum because it's a way for all of us to follow BB. About the website I would be able to take some time to uptade it through wiki specially since I know how to work with it

Thank you for everything!

Offline JustinBieberDingus

• Big Brother
  • Username: Trevor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:18:20 AM »
The forum needs to continue, getting rid of that would be like having your heart surgically removed.

Offline carlex

• Blogger
  • Ultimate Housemate
  • Live to the Fullest. (--,)
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:46:07 AM »
Keep the forum.. Please.. Regarding the website.. Those who volunteer to update the contents will be highly appreciated while i can do a major revamp or reformat of the design just guve me enough permission. 

Offline carlex

• Blogger
  • Ultimate Housemate
  • Live to the Fullest. (--,)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:49 AM »
I am very much willing to be an admin of the website or this forum.. I can totally give a make over on the website to boost it's audience.. since i know how to do websites.. Plus.. It's like a face of new generation of management.. Something that will signal a new era.. ;) i want to continue the legacy ;)

Offline Marie

• Big Brother
  • Username: marie44
  • POVPrincess
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »
Keep the forum <3 yeah I think Carlex would be good as a new admin, since he's still very much active
FUTURE AFP OF BB19

Offline keitaro urashima

• Mole
  • Username: MonAcosta
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:19:56 AM »
Keep this forum and create a wiki. A wiki will be more sustainable and more manageable. You can just make the most active here admins so you do not have to do everything yourself. Wiki will also help attract more participants and even allow you to have ads, which can be an added bonus for you.

Yes at @Carlex being an admin for the forum and the wiki. He never had any feud with anyone and is always willing to take the extra mile in keeping people updated. For the wiki's content, we can start with the updates on the forum.

Jøsêttö

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
You made a very great job Graham, honestly, and I think with social medias, people are less fan of Big Brother, because now they can witness people's life through Facebook, Twitter, Insta and Snapchat.

This forum is amazing, to be honest, at the beginning, it was very useful, now I must say it's different, I'm less hungry about Big Brother, with the time I grow, I'm less fan of reality shows, but I hope this forum will come back to life with new people, and with teens that have more time than us to follow many Big Brother etc.

We met a rainbow of personalities here so if this website and this forum are erased, it'd break my heart a little, but that's life. It's up to you, if you have enough energy, and money to keep all of this alive.

Good luck, and again, you made a very great job and had a brillant idea!!!

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
Hi Graham! It's great to have news about you again

As everyone said, please keep the forum. It's currently the best source for information about BB! And I think the idea of the wiki will be the best option too

Offline DanielA

• Ultimate Housemate
  • Username: bbfan
  • A Traveller In Time
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »
The site and the forum are unique. I think that there is information on it, information that can't be found anywhere else. I am sure that also many people who are not members read the topics with very big interest. A possible removal of World of Big Brother would be very big loss. And also on a emotional level will be very big loss for the members. For me personally it will be like i would loose a part of me. The members here are so unique, i love them all and every one of them have friends and good memories from this forum. It will be very sad.

Offline Rod

• Big Brother
  • Username: Rodd
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »
Hi... Let's make a game to up the forum.

Offline LoLo

• Runner-up
  • Username: lol972
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 12:13:34 AM »
I'm agree with everybody if the site and the forum dessapear it will be a big loss.
Hi... Let's make a game to up the forum.
I'm already the first contestant

Offline keitaro urashima

• Mole
  • Username: MonAcosta
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 02:34:03 AM »
You need to have an incentive in keeping the forum and site up. At least add a Google ad. This way, you are getting a very tangible benefit in keeping the sites up.

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 12:47:30 AM »
I'd love to see the forum stay, it's a great place to get news and opinions on shows when there doesn't seem to be as much interest these days. It would be a shame to lose it.

I really like the idea of the wiki also.

Offline KittyGalore

• Administrator
  • Immunity
  • Username: kittygalore
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 01:27:31 PM »
I would like it to stay too. Firstly i see the SMF hasn't been updated since 2009 and there is one from 2015. Also for me i find that the default theme is too dark. I don't post much here as i'm on another forum but i still from time to time love visiting this site just to keep updated. Also i see that 272 members is too low so not much visiting the site or registering. If you have your new members registering set for admin approval a admin needs to be more time online. All this just my opinion.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

The forum
By unanimous decision, the forum will remain.

kittygalore - I've updated the SMF to the current version 2.0.11. The forum is deliberately dark, when I first installed the forum I wanted it to be a similar scheme to the main website, which has a black background. If you would like me to add a new theme then let me know which one you would like - http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/

Website
The website will stay on-line as an archive. There are some editions on there that have been started and I will attempt to complete them. There are about 120 editions that are not on the website at all and I'm going to try a wiki for these.

Wiki
I'm in the process of adding a wiki to the website and building the framework for it. The plan is for a team of forum members to add the content to it. The wiki won't be open to all like wikipedia is. Everyone will be able to view the content, but editting and adding pages will be restricted to a small group of people.

Even though a number of different people will be adding content to the wiki, I would like the content and format to be as standard as possible and to follow the structure of the main website. I will let you know in a couple of days when it is ready to go live.

In the meantime, if you are able to help adding content, please let me know. Some knowledge of wiki editing would be helpful, but it's not too difficult to figure out.

Ads
It was mentioned about some google ads being put on the site to general income. I promised myself when I launched the website that I would never have any advertising - I've kept that promise and will continue to. I think it is quite rare these days to have a website with over 20,000 pages and not a single advert, pop-up or tracking cookie.

• Big Brother
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
Ads would make the site more active, which I wish WoBB was.

My concern about a wiki is that there already is wikia, at leats there is in English BB series, especially BBUS/UK/Canada.

• Big Brother
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 05:33:34 PM »
On second thought, I wiki could be good. I just like doing stats, so I could do one for Survivor & BBUS & Canada.

Offline AlexSP

• Big Brother
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
As everyone else, I support keeping the forum. I always wondered if Graham could give some access to the most trustful members in orden to update the main website, if he doesnt have enough time to do it, some of us could do it by ourselves.

About the wiki is another good idea, I also have a good skills with it because I have one for another contest and I learned so much about it.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8tDQe9FE4M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8tDQe9FE4M</a>

Offline Rod

• Big Brother
  • Username: Rodd
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 04:24:10 PM »
Alex :O

Where's Sole bebé, Flori, GPie?

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
If anyone else has the time/ability to add editions to the wiki site and would like access, please reply here and I will add you to the list.

Thanks.

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
Quote from: World of BB
If anyone else has the time/ability to add editions to the wiki site and would like access, please reply here and I will add you to the list.

Thanks.
I think I'll have some time to contribute coming up soon, so I'd like access please!

Offline Markus

• Mole
  • Username: antos
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »

Thanks.
I'm not sure, if I'll have the time anytime soon. But I guess I could ask for the access. If I can't use it, there's really nothing to lose. And I do have the ability.
Lost a planet Master Obi Wan has. How embarrassing.

Offline Josh

• Head of House
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 12:03:05 PM »

Thanks.
Sorry I just saw this but I have plenty of downtime where I can update a lot of sections. Just tell me what you need me to do lol