Author Topic: Numbering of Big Brother editions  (Read 424 times)

Offline JustinBieberDingus

• Big Brother
  • Username: Trevor
Numbering of Big Brother editions
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:31:18 PM »
Big Brother over the top is not BB19, it is more like our version of Celeb Hijack and it is not en route on the series.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
  • Username: grahamuk
    • World of Big Brother
Re: Numbering of Big Brother editions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
From what I have seen it looks exactly like a main Big Brother edition. Normal housemates, normal rules, same duration. Celebrity hijack lasted less than 4 weeks and didn't have normal housemates.

Perhaps something in over the top will happen to define it as a spin off non-standard edition, but at the moment everything points to it being a main edition.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
Would anyone who strongly believes that the current BB USA edition should not be treated as a main edition like to present a case for that view?

Offline André

• Admin
  • Big Brother
  • I only support vaginas!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
Would anyone who strongly believes that the current BB USA edition should not be treated as a main edition like to present a case for that view?
It shouldn't be BB19, you should call it Big Brother Over the Top 1 (19) USA

Offline Josh

• Head of House
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »
Quote from: World of BB

Hi World of BB great so see the updates back! In regards to Over the Top

- CBS is making it a spin-off where its broadcasting exclusively on CBS All Access with a "re-imagined" format. Seasons that air on CBS are considered part of the main edition they are already calling next the next summer season Big Brother 19 and the 2018 summer season Big Brother 20.

- Live Internet feeds are the primary ways to watch this version they are providing daily recaps (about 6-10 minutes in length) and 1 weekly hour long recap with live eviction after the weekly recap. All competitions and events are playing out live on the feeds with live diary room sessions scheduled twice a week.

- This season will last for a shorter duration 65 days (9 weeks)
--- This is shorter than Big Brother: All-Stars and Big Brother 10
--- Our main edition now lasts anywhere from 95-99 days due to CBS starting it in late June and ending in late September.

- The main format has changed for this edition with more viewer input than the main televised edition:
--- The grand prize is $250,000 instead of the $500,000 for the main televised edition.
--- The Head of Household nominates in a different way than the main edition but the end result will be the same with the HoH choosing two Housemates for eviction.
--- Viewers will name an additional third nominee. (This is a straight nomination not like the MVP twist)
--- Viewers will decide the three weekly Have-Nots (main edition is the Have-Nots are determined by their placing in the HoH competitions)
--- Viewers will get a weekly eviction vote. The nominee with the most viewer votes will get 1 additional eviction vote added to their tally in addition to the votes cast for them to leave from their fellow Housemates. This is not like the America's Player twist this is a pure eviction vote that will happen every week until the finale.
--- Viewers will decide the winner - no input from previously evicted Housemates this season

The producers have already said that the televised edition on CBS will essentially retain its current format while there will be things like viewers voting for the winner exclusive to the spin-off. They have mentioned there will be other twists that will involve the public for this edition as well. If you need help with the USA editions I have can help out with those and the Canadian editions.

Must say the Wiki is awesome just 1 little thing and maybe I'm being picky but on the Big Brother 1 USA page it says the USA was the fifth country to have BB but the US edition the Housemates entered on July 4, 2000 and the premier was on July 5th where the UK started ten days later on July 14, 2000. So it would make the US the 4th country to have BB and the UK the 5th based on entry date & premier date if I am correct.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:54:23 AM by Josh »

Offline AlexSP

• Big Brother
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »
The prize money of GH17 is 300,000€
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8tDQe9FE4M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8tDQe9FE4M</a>

Offline JustinBieberDingus

• Big Brother
  • Username: Trevor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 07:42:07 PM »

Hi World of BB great so see the updates back! In regards to Over the Top

- CBS is making it a spin-off where its broadcasting exclusively on CBS All Access with a "re-imagined" format. Seasons that air on CBS are considered part of the main edition they are already calling next the next summer season Big Brother 19 and the 2018 summer season Big Brother 20.

- Live Internet feeds are the primary ways to watch this version they are providing daily recaps (about 6-10 minutes in length) and 1 weekly hour long recap with live eviction after the weekly recap. All competitions and events are playing out live on the feeds with live diary room sessions scheduled twice a week.

- This season will last for a shorter duration 65 days (9 weeks)
--- This is shorter than Big Brother: All-Stars and Big Brother 10
--- Our main edition now lasts anywhere from 95-99 days due to CBS starting it in late June and ending in late September.

- The main format has changed for this edition with more viewer input than the main televised edition:
--- The grand prize is $250,000 instead of the $500,000 for the main televised edition.
--- The Head of Household nominates in a different way than the main edition but the end result will be the same with the HoH choosing two Housemates for eviction.
--- Viewers will name an additional third nominee. (This is a straight nomination not like the MVP twist)
--- Viewers will decide the three weekly Have-Nots (main edition is the Have-Nots are determined by their placing in the HoH competitions)
--- Viewers will get a weekly eviction vote. The nominee with the most viewer votes will get 1 additional eviction vote added to their tally in addition to the votes cast for them to leave from their fellow Housemates. This is not like the America's Player twist this is a pure eviction vote that will happen every week until the finale.
--- Viewers will decide the winner - no input from previously evicted Housemates this season

The producers have already said that the televised edition on CBS will essentially retain its current format while there will be things like viewers voting for the winner exclusive to the spin-off. They have mentioned there will be other twists that will involve the public for this edition as well. If you need help with the USA editions I have can help out with those and the Canadian editions.

Must say the Wiki is awesome just 1 little thing and maybe I'm being picky but on the Big Brother 1 USA page it says the USA was the fifth country to have BB but the US edition the Housemates entered on July 4, 2000 and the premier was on July 5th where the UK started ten days later on July 14, 2000. So it would make the US the 4th country to have BB and the UK the 5th based on entry date & premier date if I am correct.

Oops, I thought that BBUK started in April or something like that.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:57:44 PM »

You are correct and the list on our main website agrees - http://worldofbigbrother.com/BB/General/List.shtml

I have amended the wiki page.

If you or anyone else sees anything that is incorrect or can add some missing information then please post the details on the forum and we will get the wiki changed.

The prize money of GH17 is 300,000€

Thanks - I've updated this now as well.

It shouldn't be BB19, you should call it Big Brother Over the Top 1 (19) USA

I'm still thinking about how to categorise Over The Top. I don't see that the differences in the format are big enough to class it as a spin off - in fact the differences between BB1 USA and BB2+ USA were much bigger.

I am leaning towards Andre's suggestion that it should be classed as the 19th main edition, but numbered as the 1st ie Big Brother 1 (19) USA. There is precedent for this as I have numbered the Spanish Language USA edition as Gran Hermano 1 (17) USA.

I have a similar dilemma with the current BB edition in Hungary. Should it be -

Való Világ powered by Big Brother 3 Hungary (because it is the 3rd BB main edition in Hungary)
Való Világ powered by Big Brother 1 (3) Hungary (because it is the 1st VV/BB joint edition)
Való Világ powered by Big Brother 10 Hungary (because there have been 7 VV's and 2 BB's before this)

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
There is precedent for this as I have numbered the Spanish Language USA edition as Gran Hermano 1 (17) USA.
I'm not sure if there is a need for this really - just the designation of Gran Hermano USA 1/1 USA would do I think because there is an obvious difference between the shows. Maybe at least the listings could just be separated on the USA page between BB/GH and BBOTT. But if there is precedent for other organisation I'm sure it will be fine.

Offline Josh

• Head of House
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 07:03:03 AM »
Quote from: OmgItsPhil
Quote from: World of BBThere is precedent for this as I have numbered the Spanish Language USA edition as Gran Hermano 1 (17) USA.I'm not sure if there is a need for this really - just the designation of Gran Hermano USA 1/1 USA would do I think because there is an obvious difference between the shows. Maybe at least the listings could just be separated on the USA page between BB/GH and BBOTT. But if there is precedent for other organisation I'm sure it will be fine.
Well he has a established prescient on language with Canada and India if he separates Gran Hermano 1 USA into a separate numbering scheme and not include it in the overall numbers of main editions in the country then he might need to re-adjust Canada and India's numbers to match.

In a way this is really tricky I think America is unique that in 2016 we've had three editions of the show spit between two broadcasters. I'm sure Telemundo counts Gran Hermano 1 as a main edition while CBS doesn't acknowledge it.

Here is a way  Big Brother in America could be treated:
- Leave GH1 as a main edition like in Canada with the French and English editions.
- Leave BBAS1 as a spin-off since all countries except the USA count this as a spin-off even though it used the same format as the parent series.
- Have BB:OTT count as spin-off because it is unique in that CBS launched it as a streaming only version of Big Brother and when you look at the American/Canadian format it is different with a few similarities with the parent format and has a much shorter duration than any American season. If more countries start to launch a streaming only edition in conjunction with a televised edition and count the streaming seasons as main edition then it can be amended later to be counted as a main edition.