Author Topic: American Idol 9 USA  (Read 5121 times)

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
  • Username: grahamuk
    • World of Big Brother
American Idol 9 USA
« on: February 04, 2010, 02:28:53 PM »
I'm from the UK and watching American Idol for the first time thanks to satellite channel ITV2 showing it 24 hours after it airs in America.

My question is, who are the judges and were they really famous in the US before they were on Idol.

Obviously, being a Brit, I know who Simon Cowell is. But I've never heard of Randy Jackson or Kara whatshername. And why is the new judge Elen Degeneres? I've heard of her as an actress but what background does she have in music?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:06:29 AM by World of BB »

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
Re: American Idol 9 USA judges
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:10 PM »
I think Ellen know about the music industry the same as we can know about it  ::) . I really love her, she is so funny, I love her show, but I don't think she was a right choice to be in AI judge.

Randy Jackson I think he is a music producer, and he played in many bands, I think he played with Carlos Santana many years ago.

And about Kara DioGuardi, she was a member of the jury in the American version of Star Academy, that is where I first heard about her. I also know that she is a songwriter, she write a song for Carrie Underwood and other for a latin artist, Belinda.

But without a doubt, Simon Cowell is the best knonw in the music industry out of the 4 members of the jury

Offline JustinBieberDingus

• Big Brother
  • Username: Trevor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
Yup, Randy is a music producer. Ellen is just a talk show host, who I believe in active in politics as far as activism such as gay rights, and animal rights. I don't know her connection to the music industry, rather than being a celebrity fan of American Idol.

Also, I have a wishlist of my top 24 hopefuls after the audition round is over. It's on the blog.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
It seems very strange to me that the top rated show in America cannot attract a big name in the music business as the 4th judge.

Surely the whole point in having a judge is that they know what they are talking about and have earned the right to give criticism.

• Big Brother
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
I agree, they should've had a fourth judge who is big in the industry. Also, I don't know if AI will remain number one anymore, as that show lives off of the freshness and talent the final twelve need to keep us interested.

Offline Amaru

• Head of House
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:36 AM »
Im anxious to see Ellen on the show, i was never a big fan of Paula so i wasnt sad when she left.  Ellen is funny, but is that enough to be a judge on such a hit show?  Not sure.

Is it 100% for sure that Simon is leaving after this season to focus on X-Factor?  If so the show will tremendously suffer, he is just as big as any past idol, he practically makes the show at times.

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Im anxious to see Ellen on the show, i was never a big fan of Paula so i wasnt sad when she left.  Ellen is funny, but is that enough to be a judge on such a hit show?  Not sure.

Is it 100% for sure that Simon is leaving after this season to focus on X-Factor?  If so the show will tremendously suffer, he is just as big as any past idol, he practically makes the show at times.

I really like Ellen too, and I love her show, but I don't think she is a good choice for AI, but let's see her at the live show, what she say about the live performances.

And yeah, AI without Simon won't be the same. If he leaves it, it will be the end for AI I think :(

• Big Brother
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
Here's something to laugh at: The rumored replacement for Simon is Howard Stern.

From what I know, Howard Stern is a radio personality. Can someone explain more about him?

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/idol_producers_want_howard_stern_YUKlMlwQkfqa7EgK1nvRaN

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:55 PM »
Here's something to laugh at: The rumored replacement for Simon is Howard Stern.

From what I know, Howard Stern is a radio personality. Can someone explain more about him?

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/idol_producers_want_howard_stern_YUKlMlwQkfqa7EgK1nvRaN

Who???

I think they have to think that American Idol is actually a worldwide show, it's broadcasted almost in every place in the world.

Simon's replacement must be someone really important, and someone with interesting speech

Offline Amaru

• Head of House
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 04:23:51 AM »

Who???

I think they have to think that American Idol is actually a worldwide show, it's broadcasted almost in every place in the world.

Simon's replacement must be someone really important, and someone with interesting speech

Howard Stern is a media giant....he built his empire from a local radio show into a national radio show, then into a syndicated tv show (of his radio show), and then he signed a 100 million dollar deal with Sirius satelite radio awhile back for the exclusive rights to his show.

His show is known for being extremely raunchy (always nudity, swearing and other taboo subjects) and pushing the limits.  He is also a very creepy looking man.  As far as i know he has NO musical background though....then again neither did Ellen.

Offline OmgItsPhil

• Admin
  • Big Brother
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »
I thought Simon couldn't do X-Factor because American Idol was still on in America? I remember the only reason X-Factor began in the UK was because Pop Idol finished. I think I read in some newspaper a long time ago that Simon wanted X-Factor in America but had some problem because American Idol wasn't going anywhere. I thought they'd just let American Idol die after Simon left.

Offline Amaru

• Head of House
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
I thought they'd just let American Idol die after Simon left.

It most likely WILL die, it will just be a few seasons after he leaves...its still one of the most popular shows on TV, so Fox will surely milk every cent they can out of it.

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
And the TOP 12 is final here, the lucky 12 from this season are:

Aaron Kelly (16 y.o. from Sonestown, PA)
Andrew Garcia (23 y.o. from Compton, CA)
Casey James (27 y.o. from Fort Worth, TX)
Crystal Bowersox (19 y.o. from Ellison, OH)
Didi Benami (22 y.o. from Knoxville, TN)
Katie Stevens (17 y.o. from Middelbury, CT)
Lacey Brown (24 y.o. from Amarillo, TX)
Lee DeWyze (23 y.o. from Mount Prospect, IL)
Michael Lynche (26 y.o. from Astoria, NY)
Paige Miles (24 y.o. from Naples, FL)
Siobhan Magnus (20 y.o. from Cape Cod, MA)
Tim Urban (20 y.o. from Duncanville, TX)

My favourite is Casey, love him! I don't know if he will win it, but he definitely will be a country star. I also like Siobhan, she is pretty unique, and I love that.

Crystal, the big favourite from this season, is not one of my favourite, I don't see nothing special on her, but she will make it far.

I can't believe Paige made it to the TOP 12  :o , but I think she will be out next week

Anyone is watching it?

Offline Art

• Head of House
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 08:27:03 PM »
And yeah, AI without Simon won't be the same. If he leaves it, it will be the end for AI I think :(

Yeah, asking Kara to join was stupid, kicking Paula out was an even worse decision and without Simon the show will probably die. :(

Offline Art

• Head of House
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
Anyone is watching it?

No, still having to go through the Hollywood weeks, which are usually the best part. Maybe I'll try to watch it via youtube.

Offline carlex

• Blogger
  • Ultimate Housemate
  • Live to the Fullest. (--,)
Re: American Idol 9 USA
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »
i am disappointed with the latest results night..  :'( i want sioban for finals..though i like mike too...and the rest..  ;D

Offline joako

• Administrator
  • Big Brother
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
i am disappointed with the latest results night..  :'( i want sioban for finals..though i like mike too...and the rest..  ;D
I'm disappointed too, when I saw it I can believe she was voted out  :(

I knew she wasn't going to win, but at least she should be in TOP3 or 4  :-\

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:50 PM »
I haven't seen the show yet, but I'm please she has gone, she was my least liked one and the only one I've wanted to mute when singing.

Offline carlex

• Blogger
  • Ultimate Housemate
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
Now i want Casey for the win!!

I was able to watch the last result's night.. it was a funny thing to remember coz' i was doing something when i suddenly remembered that it was the result's night. Then, i jump on my TV right away, turn on to the channel which broadcasts it and upon seeing it.. it was a bit of seconds before the announcement of the name of Aaron as the latest idol eliminated. :D.. LOL!!  :D

Offline carlex

• Blogger
  • Ultimate Housemate
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
 :( :( :(

I was a bit disappointed for the new American Idol.. This is the second time that my bet for the win got lost.. (First was Adam Lambert and now..Crystal.. :(   )

However..the third song of LEE really gives me a hint that he will be the winner..

:)

Congrats! :) It was really a beautiful day!

Offline Rex

• Housemate
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 11:33:29 PM »
Didn't like this series. There weren't any real stand-out performers for me like previous seasons. Last year was great with Kris and Adam and Season 7 was fantastic, but I had no favourites this time and I'm not keen on the winner at all. Crystal was far superior in every way, Lee has absolutely murdered a great U2 song :(

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 11:40:49 PM »
I gave up on this half way through. Although I didn't have any real favourites, the American public kept voting out the ones I liked and when the public finally made a correct decision in eliminating Michael, the judges went and saved him.

Not one single performance in any show I saw made me go "wow". I don't know if this was just a very poor standard season or if it was me who was out of step with the American taste in music.

• Big Brother
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 12:05:11 AM »
I gave up on this half way through. Although I didn't have any real favourites, the American public kept voting out the ones I liked and when the public finally made a correct decision in eliminating Michael, the judges went and saved him.

Not one single performance in any show I saw made me go "wow". I don't know if this was just a very poor standard season or if it was me who was out of step with the American taste in music.

You're obviously NOT alone; AI9's ratings are decimating. That proves the season sucked. We will never see AI as the number one show anymore.

Offline World of BB

• Administrator
  • Winner
    • World of Big Brother
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 12:20:58 AM »
I think that next year's American Idol will be the last. I can't see Fox airing both Idol and X Factor in the medium/long term.

Whilst The X Factor is basically the same as Idol but with a few minor differences, it's those minor differences that the show needs.